Man City star Toure backs calls to expand World Cup slots

Nairobi, Oct 30 (IANS) Manchester City and Ivory Coast star midfielder Yaya Toure has supported the call by UEFA President Michel Platini to expand the World Cup from 32 to 40 teams.

Oct 30 2013, 12:18am CDT | by IANS

Man City star Toure backs calls to expand World Cup slots
Photo Credit: ANDREW YATES, Getty Images

Nairobi, Oct 30 — Manchester City and Ivory Coast star midfielder Yaya Toure has supported the call by UEFA President Michel Platini to expand the World Cup from 32 to 40 teams.

Toure, who was appointed as Goodwill ambassador for the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), Tuesday added his nation had not booked its place for Brazil 2014 despite the commanding 3-1 lead they have over Senegal from the first leg in Abidjan a fortnight ago, reported Xinhua.

"The five slots given for Africa lock out many countries outside the traditional big nations, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Ghana, Cameroon and Senegal. The idea will help more teams from the continent to participate in the event."

"It's only Ghana who can say they have a chance. My personal view is that 3-1 is not enough because the second leg is always tough.

"We don't have an advantage since we will be playing away in Casablanca," noted Toure, who was part of the Elephants team that crashed out in the group stage of the 2010 edition in South Africa.

They will play their second leg of their final African play-off qualifier on the weekend of Nov 17 and 19.

Despite losing 2-1 to Chelsea Sunday, Toure backed City under Manuel Pellegrini to reclaim the Barclay Premier League title they won on the dramatic last day in 2012.

He said Manchester United will find it difficult to retain the trophy.

"We are playing very well and the championship has just started and I'm hoping for the best. For the part of United, it's very tough for them with a new manager but we are looking to do what they did last year.

"Arsenal and Liverpool are playing very well and it will be difficult to move them from there," the star said.

IANS

Source: IANS

 
 
 

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest stories

Chris Mullin Agrees To Become New St. John's Red Storm Head Coach
Chris Mullin Agrees To Become New St. John's Red Storm Head Coach
The St. John's Red Storm hired one of their alumni and former players, Chris Mullin, to be their new head men's basketball coach on March 30.
 
 
Chris Mullin Agrees To Become New St. John's Red Storm Head Coach
Chris Mullin Agrees To Become New St. John's Red Storm Head Coach
The St. John's Red Storm hired one of their alumni and former players, Chris Mullin, to be their new head men's basketball coach on March 30.
 
 
Cleveland Browns Fined $250K, GM Ray Farmer Suspended 4 Games For Texting Coache
Cleveland Browns Fined $250K, GM Ray Farmer Suspended 4 Games For Texting Coaches
The NFL fined the Cleveland Browns $250,000 and suspended general manager Ray Farmer four games for the 2015 NFL season for the "Textgate" scandal where Farmer allegedly texted Browns coaches in at least four games last season. This is a violation of the league's policy on electronic devices.
 
 
Cleveland Browns Fined $250K, GM Ray Farmer Suspended 4 Games For Texting Coache
Cleveland Browns Fined $250K, GM Ray Farmer Suspended 4 Games For Texting Coaches
The NFL fined the Cleveland Browns $250,000 and suspended general manager Ray Farmer four games for the 2015 NFL season for the "Textgate" scandal where Farmer allegedly texted Browns coaches in at least four games last season. This is a violation of the league's policy on electronic devices.