Nov 10 2013, 3:34am CST | by IANS
"We had three months to put together the 2013 event. We could have waited until 2014 but we wanted to put out what we had immediately to signal that we were here and will be here to stay for a very long time," Stewart said.
"This short time allowed only a certain number of matches but with 10 months to plan the 2014 event from the last day of the 2013 event, we decided to bring more parity to the event in terms of having each team play others the same number of times."
Stewart added that with the extra matches, some of the other territories would now get a chance to bid for matches.
"If these countries feel that they can host three successive days of cricket, then they can make a bid to host matches."
He also added that matches being played outside the region could become a reality.
"We cannot rule out anything at this point in time. We have been having consultation with authorities in the United States and it is possible that matches could be played there as well. The West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) is the only full member of the International Cricket Council (ICC) in this half of the world and we see spreading the game to other parts as important, although we remain the CPL."
Stewart also said that the tournament may start earlier in 2014 to prevent running into the monsoon.
"We may be looking to start the tournament in mid-July as opposed to the end of July as we did in 2013. This would allow for us to finish before the rain comes down. We will be looking to attract some of the top players in the world and around this time we have about five international teams that are idle. A number of players have expressed interest in coming to the region to play."
blog comments powered by Disqus