Apr 3 2014, 7:26pm CDT | by Poch de la Rosa
"It's good to be champs. Two members of the World Series champion Red Sox -- designated hitter David Ortiz and second baseman Dustin Pedroia -- are at the top of the current list of most popular Major League Baseball player jerseys at the outset of the 2014 regular season.
"The list of the top 20 players was released jointly Thursday by Major League Baseball and the MLB Players Association, and it features players from 13 teams. There's one other Boston star -- closer Koji Uehara -- in the top 20, and former Red Sox outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury is No. 20.
"The list is based on sales of Majestic jerseys from MLB.com/shop since the end of the last World Series, and the top 10 features players from eight teams. (New York) Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter, entering the final season of his career, is the third-most popular jersey in baseball."
More specifically, the period covering the top jersey sales is from Oct. 31,2013 to March 30, 2014, per ESPN's Darren Rovell. Ortiz's jersey purchases on MLB.com went up 932 percent while Pedroia's is up by 379 percent, Rovell notes.
Maury Brown of Forbes Magazine points out youth is a dominant theme among the top sellers. Twelve of the top 20 are 30 years of age or younger. Five who made it -- Manny Machado, Yasiel Puig, Bryce Harper, Mike Trout and Matt Harvey are no older than 25 years of age.
Brown then lists the 20 best-selling MLB jerseys:
1. David Ortiz, Boston Red Sox
2. Dustin Pedroia, Boston Red Sox
3. Derek Jeter, New York Yankees
4. Yadier Molina, St. Louis Cardinals
6. Andrew McCutchen, Pittsburgh Pirates
7. Buster Posey, San Francisco Giants
8 .David Wright, New York Mets
9. Robinson Cano, New York Mets/Seattle Mariners
10. Manny Machado, Baltimore Orioles
11. Yasiel Puig, Los Angeles Dodgers
12. Bryce Harper, Washington Nationals
14. Mike Trout, Los Angeles Angels
15. Matt Harvey, New York Mets
16. Prince Fielder, Detroit Tigers/Texas Rangers
17. Adam Wainwright, St. Louis Cardinals
18. Koji Uehara, Boston Red Sox
19. Yu Darvish, Texas Rangers
20. Jacoby Ellsbury, Boston Red Sox/New York Yankees
Fordin stresses 17 of these 20 players were All-Stars in 2013. "Seven of the top 20 are infielders, five are pitchers, five are outfielders and two are catchers, with Ortiz the only designated hitter on the list," Fordin adds.
Poch de la Rosa
Poch de la Rosa follows all major U.S. sports: NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL and the NCAA. His favorite teams are the Colts, Braves, Pacers, Sharks and Irish, respectively.
blog comments powered by Disqus